Cacao Hot Chocolate Recipe
Sometimes when I’m backpacking, I really crave a sweet treat at the end of a long, hard day. This homemade cacao hot chocolate always hits the spot. Cacao does contain caffeine so if you’re not able to have caffeine before bed, maybe try this drink for breakfast instead. Most people just bring the ready-made packets of hot cocoa, but this is so much better for you and you can taste the difference too! Cacao is high in antioxidants, magnesium, and potassium and the coconut butter is an excellent source of healthy fat.
- 3 Tbsp powdered milk or coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut butter
- 1 -2 Tsp sweetener of choice (Erythritol, honey, agave nectar or syrup, or maple syrup)
- Pinch of salt
- Reconstitute your powdered milk by adding the water and stirring
- Heat milk over low to medium heat
- Add cacao powder, coconut butter, sweetener, and pinch of salt and stir well
Do you make your own hot cocoa out on the trail? What’s your go to recipe?
- Benefits of Cacao Nibs
- Best Hot Chocolate Powder
- Foods that Keep You Warm – What to Eat When Its Cold
- How to Make Homemade Meal Replacement Shakes for Backpacking