Twenty Questions to Ask Yourself Before Going Backpacking
- What is the weather going to be like?
- What is my route going to be?
- Is the daily mileage and elevation gain realistically doable?
- Do I need to make arrangements for a shuttle or ride to and from the trailheads?
- Do I have all the gear needed to be safe?
- What types of food do I want to take?
- Who is going with me?
- How much food do I need?
- Do I need to resupply?
- Are there any river crossings?
- Will I be hiking over snow?
- Will I have cell service?
- Are fires allowed?
- How heavily trafficked is my route?
- Easy escape routes?
- What is the highest altitude I will be sleeping at?
- Are dogs allowed?
- How far apart are reliable water sources?
- Will there be insects?
- What types of wildlife will I encounter?
A major part of backpacking is the planning process and making sure you will be prepared to survive on your own out in the elements. These 20 questions are a good start to ensuring your safety in the backcountry!
What questions would you add to the list? I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment below!